- 1796 - Edward Jenner administers the first smallpox vaccination.
- 1889 - The children's charity the NSPCC is launched in London.
- 1925 - Virginia Woolf's novel Mrs Dalloway is published.
- 2005 - Pope Benedict XVI observes his first beatification, elevating Blessed Marianne of Molokai on the road to canonization into sainthood.
- 1666 - Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia (d. 1732)
- 1926 - Eric Morecambe, British comedian (d. 1984)
- 1982 - BeardyMan, English beatboxer
- 1847 - Fanny Mendelssohn, German composer and pianist (b. 1805)
- 1998 - Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor (b. 1915)
- Feast Day of St. Boniface of Tarsus