Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Got another forgery then, have you?"

The last few weeks I've been on two crutches rather than one. This started when I tripped and tore a toenail off, then continued when I got new neurological symptoms in a rather large new section of my left thigh.

While I am normally all in favour of the wonder of mobility aids, because they give people freedom and independence and, well, mobility, I get seriously less enthusiastic when I need two crutches rather than one. It means I am hurting my elbows and wrists on both arms instead of just one, it makes doing nearly anything a nightmare. I have to ask for help a lot more, it hurts, I hate it.

If it turns out to be long-term I'll just have to get the hang of it, but in the meantime, I'm seriously unimpressed.

This morning I got on the bus. It's a local service where it tends to be the same drivers most of the time, so I know some of them. Today, on spotting that I had two crutches and not one, a driver I know reasonably well said, "got another forgery then, have you?", and laughed.

It was banter. That bloody word. Can't I take a joke?

On top of feeling distinctly unimpressed with the two crutch situation already, this idiot added a whole other layer of fed-up-ness to the mix. For the rest of the day I felt self-conscious. Do all these people think I'm faking?

If he had thought about it, even for a millisecond, he would perhaps have realised that an increase in the number of crutches perhaps corresponded with a deterioration in my health. He would perhaps have realised that I might not be overjoyed about that.

Today was so painful. My arms are completely wrecked, and my right hand is considerably worse than usual. I don't know if that is a progression of the condition, or just a reaction to too much crutch use today.

It's not funny. It's not banter. It's thoughtless and fucking cruel, if you take even a second to think about it.

3 comments:

onethoughtfulwoman said...

Hello, I am cloudgazer on twitter and I really liked what you put here. Not that I am saying I liked the topic of why you had to write it but your frankness and courage. People can be so thoughtless and most would not even try to get out on a bus with those things. Perching on 2 dam crutches must have been precarious and bet no-one offered to help? Have only looked at this one so I am still quessing as to the neurological problem, have a fare idea though. Good for you to show spirit and be who you are and not a victim. I have my own weakness, perhaps too scared to share. Thanks for this and a thought provoking post. I shall be watching. Best wishes from another feminist.

Margaret Smith said...

I really sympathise. I was diagnosed with CFS/ME in Dec 11 & amongst my cluster of symptoms, lifting & carrying is quite painful, specially hands & wrist. As I'm a trainer I bought a trolley case to carry laptop, projector etc. Whilst dragging the case in a great rush to collect something, someone said "going on holiday then?!". They thought I was being very grumpy not appreciating the humor.

The truth was, which I mentioned, was that I was in pain which would continue for several days. Being a life long depression sufferer has meant battling with stigma for over 30 yrs. Now having CFS/ME, not just being a largely invisible condition but contradicted by my being mobile & at work, it seems like another long battle is beginning!

Denise said...

Wow thats really thoughtless of that driver. Sometimes people can be really harsch I hope your situation improves soon. Keep on fighting!