Saturday, May 15, 2004

14/5 or 5/14 or just my birthday yesterday :)

Irene Stuber runs an incredible website at undelete.org all about undeleting women from his/herstory.

The Women of Achievement section of her website tells me some significant events around women's herstory which have occurred on May 14th, my birthday. I especially like that on May 14th 1918, the right to vote and stand for political office for all women of the Canadian Province was validated.

Another site tells me that Thomas Gainsborough and Cate Blanchett share my birthday, and elsewhere I find that the month of May is...


  • Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

  • On May 7, 1990, President George Bush signed a proclamation declaring May to be Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, recognizing the first Japanese immigrants arriving in the United States on May 7, 1843.

  • Better Hearing and Speech Month


  • Better Sleep Month


  • Egg Month (National)


  • Mental Health Awareness Month


  • Huntington's Disease Awareness Month


  • Neurofibromatosis Awareness Month (World)


  • Older Americans Month


  • Physical Fitness & Sports Month (National, US)


  • Teacher Appreciation Month


  • Trauma Awareness Month (National)



though these, of course, are very US-centric.

And how can I not follow a link to Favo(u)rite resources for Catholic homeschoolers, which tells me that 14th May is the Feast of St. Matthias (d. 65) Apostle and Martyr, and birthday of Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686) German scientist.

I guess of all that I'm most inspired by Canadian women getting the vote, 59 years (I think!) before the date I was born.

I had a lovely day yesterday with friends and beer and the sun was shining :) I'm now 27...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Pippa! I enjoy your blog, especially your mental health experiences.

All the best,
Greg