Friday, November 04, 2005

New Labour Manipulation.

In the run-up to the General Election I discovered that I was on some kind of Labour Party email update list. And while the smug grinniness (?!) of Tony Blair in my inbox annoyed me immensely, there was also an element of voyeurism which meant I didn't request to be removed. I liked to see what they were trying next.

I occasionally still get emails from them, and today I was less-than-joyous to receive a Labour Party email from Clarles Clarke, but when he stated that he was emailing [me] today to find out your views on the action the Government is proposing to take to challenge the new terrorist threats that face all of us my ears pricked up.

I'll tell you what I think! Yey! Absolutely draconian measures which will lead this country in a direction which terrifies many. Civil and human rights slashed, racism incorporated into law, defying conventions which we signed up to for very good reasons, locking people up without charge for 3 months... Scary, appalling, very, very bad idea.

So yes, Mr Clarke, where do I share, I wonder... here - to register my views (he says).

But unfortunately there is no box to share my views, no email address to send my thoughts to. Instead there are questions so leading as to be essentially taking us by the hand and clicking the 'correct' answers for us. Questions such as,
Do you think police should have the time and opportunity to complete their investigations into suspected terrorists?
Do you think the government should make sure there are new safeguards to protect innocent people?

The possible answers for each are Yes, No or Not Sure...
On the radio this afternoon they were talking about polls and surveys and whether they meant anything at all.

I think we can safely say that this survey by the Labour Party means absolutely nothing other than that they are shameless, and probably getting desperate.

If anyone wants to fill it in by the way, I'll happily share my invitation with you. Go for it.



---
Technorati tags: ; ; ; .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, it's Claire.

On a related note, you may have seen/heard about a news item saying that employers discriminate against overweight people. I (in my HRish capacity) took part in that survey- one of the questions was:

If you had two candidates for a job and they both had the same level of qualifications and experience, which one would you employ?

a) the overweight one
b) the thin one


wtf????? I skipped this question because it was just stupid. It came as no surprise, however that the statistic the press release led on was that 93% said they'd employ the thin one. But come on, are we to take statistics seriously when they've been compiled in so dishonest a manner?

There's a great bit in Yes Prime Minister on this very topic, in fact (with relation to conscription in that case).

Love to you
xxxxxxx

Caroline said...

Hi

I followed the link and decided the only place to put a comment was in the box marked name!

So I did.

Thanks.