Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Economic Costs, Famous Lasts.

Through WorkBlogging I found myself reading this BBC article and it made me so, so angry.
Employers fight domestic violence

The scheme's founding members hope more firms will join up

Top employers including the NHS, BBC, and the Body Shop have set up a support scheme to fight domestic violence.

The Corporate Alliance Against Domestic Violence offers staff and companies advice and support.

Domestic violence is said to cost the UK economy £3bn a year through its impact on decreased productivity, absenteeism and effect on co-workers.
read more...

Is that really the reason to fight domestic violence? Because it costs the economy £3 billion, and there are absences and decreased productivity?

Wake up! Corporate Alliance indeed... the reason we need to fight domestic violence is because women are being victimised and beaten and murdered all over the country, all over the world. It is because 2 women a week are killed by a partner or ex-partner. It is because every 15 seconds there is a call to the police when a woman has been attacked by a partner in the UK. It is because women can not break free when they, or other women are being battered in their homes. Because nowhere is safe, then. It is because too many men are getting away with it, too few men are being held to account, and too many women are being battered and their confidence and life eroded by this torture.

It is not because of decreased fucking productivity.

On a different note (because I need something else in my head if I'll have a chance of sleeping), I present some particularly good famous last words:
Bogart, Humphrey (1899-1957)
"I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis."


Claudel, Paul (1868-1955)
"Doctor, do you think it could have been the sausage?"

Costello, Lou (1906-1959)
"That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted."


Gwenn, Edmund (1875-1959)
"It is. But not as hard as farce." in _Time_ 30 January 1984
(On his deathbed, in reply to the comment `It must be very hard.')

Keynes, John Maynard (1883-1946)
"I wish I'd drunk more champagne."


Malcolm X (1925-1965)
"Cool it, brothers..."
(His last words before being assassinated.)

Marx, Karl (1818-1883)
"Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven't said enough."


Morant, Lt. Henry H. (1864-1902)
"Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!"
(To the firing squad that executed him.)

Oates, Lawrence (1880-1912)
"I am just going outside and may be some time."
(Before vanishing into the blizzard on the ill fated Antarctic expedition.)


Palmerston, Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount (1784-1865)
"Die, my dear Doctor? That's the last thing I shall do!"

Philby, St John ( -1960)
"God, I'm bored."


Rodgers, James W. ( -1960) [American criminal]
"Why yes, a bullet-proof vest!"
(Last request before the firing squad.)

Roosevelt, Franklin Delano (1882-1945)
"I have a terrific headache."


Saki (Hector Hugh Munro) (1870-1916)
"Put that bloody cigarette out."
(Just before being shot by a sniper, 14 November 1916)

Sedgwick, John (1813-1864)
"Nonsense, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
(after a suggestion that he should not show himself above
the parapet during the Battle of the Wilderness.)


Shaw, George Bernard (1856-1950)
"I want to sleep..."

Smith, Adam (1723-1790)
"I believe we should adjourn this meeting to another place."


Stein, Gertrude (1874-1946)
Just before she died she asked,
"What is the answer?"
No answer came. She laughed and said,
"In that case what is the question?"

Thomas, Dylan (1914-1953)
"I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record."


Villa, Francisco `Pancho' (1878-1923)
"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Voltaire (1694-1778)
"This is no time to make new enemies."
(Asked on his deathbed to forswear Satan)


Wells, Herbert George (1866-1946)
"Go away... I'm all right."


---
Technorati tags: ; ; ; ; .

0 comments: